The Carers Break Fund is open to all adult carers of adults in the Devon County Council area who have not had a Carers Break Fund payment in the last 24 months, and do not have a current Carers Health & Wellbeing Check (a carers assessment) that concluded that they have eligible needs.
The scheme provides a small amount of money (£50 minimum but an average of £172) to enable carers to enjoy an activity, hobby or anything else that helps provide time out from their caring role.
Please note, you cannot apply for a Carers Break Fund whilst actively engaged with the Devon Carers Hospital Service.
What can I use the money for?
It can be used on anything that will give you a break from your caring role. (It cannot be used for items for your cared-for person, as these should be provided by the NHS or Adult Social Care).
Many carers have already benefitted from the new fund, enabling them to:
· Participate in a well-being activity: yoga, mindfulness, or exercise
· Pursue a hobby; purchasing garden tools, plants, or buying art and crafts materials
· Undertake a relaxing activity; reading, making a jigsaw, or listening to music
· Engage in technology; by using their fund to help purchase a smartphone or tablet, carers have been able to join in with online activities and chat with family and friends virtually
· Enjoy a day trip or night away
What can’t I use the money for?
You can not use the payment to fund:
· Services for the person you care for, such as replacement or respite care including the Devon Carers Time for You service.
· Repay debt
· Pay utilities or rent
· Anything illegal
How to apply
You must be aged 18 and over and caring for an adult who lives in the Devon County Council area. You must be registered with Devon Carers which you can do using our self-referral form, chatting online, or by phoning our helpline on 03456 434 435. Simply contact us and we will send you an application form to complete and return.
If you are interested in applying for the funds or to find out more information, click on the ‘Ask’ button or call our Helpline 03456 434 435, Monday to Friday 8am-6pm and Saturday 9am-1pm.