Things you can say or ask to help establish if someone is an unpaid carer
Things to say or ask a person that can help establish if they are an unpaid carer:
- Do you pick up prescriptions for someone else?
- Are you doing the shopping for another person?
- Do you help out a friend, relative or neighbour who couldn’t manage without your support?
- Are you unable to spend time doing things you enjoy because you are supporting someone else?
- Do you know about the support that Devon Carers provides?
- Did you know you may be able to get help to access information and advice around your finances and benefits?
- Are you in need of emotional support?
- Are you juggling work with looking after someone?
- Is there anything about your own health that worries you?
These conversation starters/questions will help unpaid carers open-up about their caring responsibilities and enable you to give them Devon Carers contact information. You can also download a copy to give to others who may encounter unpaid carers and would like to help.