Welfare Benefits Self Help Resources
Below are links to benefits checkers and to .Gov websites for making claims. These resources are intended to empower carers to be able to read more about the various welfare benefits available. Please use these resources to help you get a better understanding of the welfare benefits that may be available to you. If you need some support with this, get in touch with us and we’ll be able to get you to the right place to get the help you need.
Citizens Advice website pages for welfare benefits information:
Department of Work and Pensions information:
Personal Independence Payments:
Attendance Allowance claim form and guidance notes:
Carers Allowance claim form and guidance notes:
Benefits checkers to look into better off options and benefits entitlement:
For all carers of any age who care for people of any age
- If the person you care for or if you yourself have urgent, non-life-threatening medical care needs please contact NHS Online at 111.nhs.uk or you can phone 111.
- If the person you care for or if you yourself have life-threatening medical care needs or have suffered a sudden collapse please phone 999.
For adult carers of adults (including parent carers of adults)
- If the person you care for has urgent social care needs, or you require urgent respite due to a crisis, please contact Care Direct by phoning 0345 1551 007. If an emergency situation happens outside of opening hours or on a Bank Holiday contact the Emergency Duty Service on 0345 600 0388.
- If you need support as a Carer, including having a routine break/respite, please contact Devon Carers by phoning 03456 434 435 or emailing email@example.com or by going online at devoncarers.org.uk and using live webchat.
For parent carers of disabled children and young people
- Access to the Devon County Council Disabled Children’s Service is currently through the Single Point of Access (SPA), Children and Family Health Devon. Please contact the Single Point of Access by phoning 03300 245 321 and ask for the Devon County Council Disabled Children’s Service.
Additional useful information:
Charitable grants directory:
Blue Badge information and applications:
Age UK website – excellent information about many things including care options and understanding more about the cost of care.