Carer friendly employers
There are currently approximately 5 million people in the UK who are juggling caring responsibilities with work – that’s 1 in 7 of the workforce.
Across the UK approximately 600 working carers give up work each day to care full time.
By engaging with employers we aim to reduce the number of people giving up work each day across Devon by building a positive and inclusive workplace for staff who are, or will become, unpaid carers.
What are the benefits of becoming carer friendly?
- Attracting and retaining staff.
- Reducing stress, sick leave and absenteeism.
- Reducing recruitment and training costs.
- Increasing resilience and productivity.
- Improving service delivery.
- Producing cost savings.
- Improving people management, staff morale and loyalty.
- More effective team working.
For working carers
- Financial stability and independence.
- Social interaction.
- Reduced levels of stress and exhaustion.
- Improved sense of wellbeing.
- Supported and valued by their employer and colleagues.
- More confident to discuss their caring role with others.
- More able to continue with dual role of caring and working.
In joining Carer Friendly
Devon | Employers, you will receive:
- Training: for organisations on how to support both staff and customers who are carers. We offer a variety of training awareness packages to suit the size or needs of your organisation including online and tailored face to face sessions.
- Recognition: we can provide you with branded promotional materials and inclusion on our website.
- Employers’ Pack: including poster to display in staff areas; certificate; Employers’ Guide, Employees’ Guide, top tips; resources and information to enable your carers to register with Devon Carers.
- Support: ongoing contact with Devon Carers to assist you to remain carer friendly. You will receive e-bulletins and our helpline is available from 8am to 6pm Mon to Fri, and 9am to 1pm Sat.
- Opportunities: to share ideas and resources with other like-minded employers.
- Access: to the specialist services Devon Carers offer, including free Carers’ Assessments carried out in your workplace.
- Commitment: We commit to helping you consider how you can support carers in your community by offering ongoing help, training and engagement.
Oaklands Residential Care Home, Sticklepath, Barnstaple